We used a period method of measuring my body with a paper tape that was notched in a particular way to note the lengths. I was given a paper pattern which I then drafted up using the measurements. I layered three fabrics one of the fashion wool and two of the linen. Traced the pattern and left 2 inches alway around. The patterns were basted along the outline of the piece, then based together along the basting lines. I was fitted to the corset and followed that with adjustments and another fitting. I had very little adjustments to make since the pattern was drafted to my specific measurements. The corset was then constructed, bonded and bound. Phew! I have worn it twice now, and I so much happier. My last two attempts using a purchased paper pattern were okay but they just didn't fit right. I recommend having a corset drafted to you.
Without further ado, here are some pictures of the some of the process and the finished product:
|Personalized drafted pattern.|
|Front piece cut, showing the 3 layers.|
|Basting for the fitting.|
|Corset complete - side view.|
Stay tuned for Corsets, Corsets Part 3: Victorian corset. Also, coming up soon are the results of my two sewing frenzy to make a picnic dress for a summer outing I went to this last Sunday.