Musings of a Lady

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Le Modiste: Mid to late 1840's day dress

Well, the problems with technology have been solved and so I am posting - finally!  So what have I been doing?  Well, I have completed a UFO!  The corded petticoat I started - way back when?  It came out pretty good.  Ladies and Gents!  This petticoat is really heavy! I only corded a foot bandwidth of 100% cotton yarn and 3 rows of horsehair.  Anyway, this is the finished piece.  (I know, white on white makes it hard to see the details but...
Finishing up the cording.

Ta, da!

Close-up of the finished corded panel.  The wider/flatter channels is the horsehair braid with a serpentine stitch.


I am also starting a dress for the Dicken's Christmas Faire in San Francisco this year.  The dress will be a combination of the following patterns:


I will use the fabric that I posted about here:  http://lachatelainechocolat.blogspot.com/2010/10/victorian-for-dickens-faire.html.  The image that I will follow somewhat is:


1839 

I will probably make something similar to the left dress but use the sleeves from pattern 4400 above.   I am excited about the outcome.  With that said, I am constructing the skirt first.  So, I am going to put it together tonight and get it ready to be cartridge pleated.  Oh goody!  Hand sewing! 

Will keep you updated on this project.

2 comments:

Rowenna said...

The petticoat is so pretty! Simple but so detailed--I love functional yet pretty details! Can't wait to see the Dickens dress!

angela Grimes said...

Thanks Rowenna! I am very proud of finishing that petticoat UFO. The dress is on its way. So, far so good. Will keep you posted.