Musings of a Lady

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Victorian for Dicken's Faire

I am seriously contemplating attending the Dicken's Christmas Faire this December at the Cow Palace in South San Francisco.  I am not fond of mid-Victorian dresses.  I like the earlier 1838-44 styles and then my tastes jump to 1878-1898.  Alas, the faire hovers around the late forties and into the early 60's.  So, I hate wearing a hoop, I don't mind petticoats so 1838-42 it is.  Design.

Something along these lines.  Simple.  I love the sleeves.  The bonnets - which I usually don't like to wear (give me a jaunty hat any day) I can do this as it frames my face which is oval and long. 






 Fabric.  I bought a repro-cotton that I like...




Probably will trim with ivory and pick up the teal for pipping if I don't use self-fabric for pipping.    Now, the trick will be to make this without a corset. Why?  I don't have time to make one.  The one I have is too big - lost weight in the upper story..hint, hint.  So, boning the hell out of this dress may be the ticket.  Ah! And there is a set of petticoats to make as well.  So, it is October 19th, I plan to attend Dicken'e early December, so I have about a month and a half and the holidays are approaching.  Yikes!  So, I will keep you all posted.!

4 comments:

Rowenna said...

Ooooh...I'm also picky when it gets to the nineteenth century (much of it is almost too sweet, it seems), but these designs are simple yet feminine. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Angela said...

Thanks Rowenna! I wish I could email you directly to chat. Anyway, I hope to get it started this weekend. So, will keep you posted. Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

>>I am not fond of mid-Victorian dresses

Preach it sistah! Which is why I always go rational and wear trousers. Nevermind--if anyone can make it look good, and look good in it it's you, my dearest Angela!

Nightbocci said...

I'm totally with you on skipping the '50s and '60s. I, too, am embarking upon the crazy (with some help from Cynthia) by making a dress to wear in early December. Which weekend are you going? -Cathie